Monday, July 16, 2012

Bean Stew

My mom makes this awesome bean stew. I call it a stew because it's not really a chili, but it's not really a soup either. I know it's July, but give it a shot. Trust me, it's good. Because I said I would give credit when credit is due, and because half of these recipes aren't mine, I will say that I'm almost posi that this is a Weight Watchers recipe. There, I tried.

1. 1 pound extra lean ground turkey, browned and drained (Optional)
2. 15 ounces of black beans, cooked al dente
3. 15 ounces of kidney beans, cooked al dente
4. 15 ounces of pinto beans, cooked al dente
5. 1 bag of frozen fire roasted corn (Trader Joe's kids. It's the business.) 
6. 15 ounces of diced tomatoes
7. 1 can of Rotel tomatoes
8. 1 envelope of taco seasoning (If you can find a low sodium option, do it. Again, Trader Joe's and Whole Foods have really great options.)
9. 1 envelope of ranch dressing mix
10. 2 cups of water

Directions:

1. Brown and drain your turkey if you choose to throw it in. This recipe is super good with boiled chicken, deboned as well.
2. Mix all ingredients in a large pot and simmer for at least 30 minutes to an hour. 

Enjoy. 

If you want to take the short cut on this recipe, you can use canned options. Keep in mind that this will throw the sodium content through the roof though. If you have the time, use fresh whole ingredients. It makes a difference. 

SM.

No comments:

Post a Comment